jueves, 5 de octubre de 2023

TANEDA SANTOKA -- Diary of the One-Grass Hut (fragmentos. 2a parte)

Fragmentos del diario que escribió Taneda Santoka entre agosto y octubre de 1940. Recogidos, directamente, de la traducción realizada por William Scott Wilson, para el libro "The Life and Zen Jaiku Poetry of Santoka Taneda". 

 

[SEGUNDA PARTE]

 

    I've been invited for dumpling soup and... ah... I feel so... ah.
    No money. No possessions. No teeth. Alone. 

-

    I boil up what's left of the barley and Irish potatoes. Eating this, I am myself an Irish potato. 

-

    The agressive mosquitoes in the autumn wind are biting, so I got inside the mosquito net early and gazed at the moon ,read books, thought things over and felt lonely all night. 

-

    If only... If... I could stop drinking, hoy tranquil I would ve. First, I would be saved in concrete tems. I would be rescued from the daily life of never knowing whether I would be able to eat or not eat. 

-

    In the way, I make up some verses, pick up some cigarette butts, and do some shopping. 

26 sen - 1 sho of barley.
10 sen - some pinks.
6 sen - 1 cake of tofu.
4 sen - stamps.

    As I cooked up the rice, I thought of various and sundry things. Concerning haiku: 

spirit - the scent of Japan - Truth
Haiku-like things nature - the scent of the seasons - quiet clarity - strength
expression - the scent of time - fluidity
Works reflecting themselves - complete
Works reflecting the author - incomplete

-

    Went to visit Musui. He wasn't there. I borrowed some dried udon noodles. Dropped in on the Warai residence. Borrowed some pocket money. 

70 sen - 2 sho of foreign rice.
17 sen - half a glass of cheap wine.
6 sen - 1 go fo soy sauce.

    Tobacco I can pick up; rice I cannot.
    With either Japanese or foreign rice, when you crush died udon noodles up a bit and mix the two, it's better to make it sticky. This I have discovered cooking for myself. Isn't it cheaper when you do things simply?

-

    ...Talk about the black market, talk about violations of drinking establishments and chophouses, talk about heavy drinkers, and on an on.

    - Sake is delicious. Truly delicious. Too delicious.
    - Giving money to a cat demostrates the foolishness of the person who gave the money more than the ignorance of the cat to which it was given. 

-

Let me record the money I paid back and the shopping I did yesterday: 

2 yen    returned to the abbot
42 sen     bill for udon noodles at Musui
80 sen    tobacco
10 sen    hijiki seaweed
10 sen    soap
15 sen    matches
20 sen    moshi rice cake
20 sen    bread
24 sen    soy sauce
2.40 yen    bill for the newspaper
2 yen    rice bill
2.40 yen    sake bill
8 sen    incense
8 sen    ginger
52 sen    pressed barley
40 sen    flaked bonito
15 sen     miso

-

    Tonight, a dog just came out of nowhere, carrying a large piece of mochi in its mouth, I meekly recieved the mochi from the dog and had my meal. Thank you, Lord Bow-Bow. Lord White Bow-Bow.
    I offered that was left to a cat that had also come out of nowhere. Charity from the first to the last! Receiving it from a dog!

    Mochi from the mochi shop.
Diameter about 5 inches [12 cm]
The color, slightly black.
A little missing.

-

    Concerning the character of haiku: 
- Symbolism of impression - eternality of the moment - the totality and the individual.
- Crystallization - simplification without constriction.
- Purification of body and mind - transparently clear.
- Kernel, focus, centripedal.
    I think my misfortune comes from my being too robust.

-

    This morning I ate what hadn't been eaten by the cat. 

    Dragonflies fly in for just a moment. They fly all around me. Fly while you can. Before long you'll probably fly no more. 

 

[Fin del diario]


Taneda Santoka. Diary of the One-Grass Hut. "The Life and Zen Jaiku Poetry of Santoka Taneda". Sumita Oyama. Trad. por William Scott Wilson. Turtle Publishing. 2021.

No hay comentarios: